Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Making Soup by Lea Martin


One of the second grade reading groups read the book Making Soup by Lea Martin, which is a fun story about a Hen who is making some soup to enjoy. However, as it is cooking her friends decide to "take a sip" of her soup without her knowing. To her surprise, when she is ready to eat her soup, she finds the pot empty! We enjoyed discussing why we thought this story was funny, as well as why we thought the author chose to write it. We decided that it was to entertain us. Last, we talked about the three different types of connections that you can make with the books that you read: text to self, text to text and text to world. I would like each of you to pick your favorite type of connection and write a comment sharing what this book made you think about as you read it.

3 comments:

  1. I know that the second graders enjoyed reading Making Soup and making connections. I have a text to self connection. Everytime I make soup, my children and husband like to taste it as it is cooking. One time, I had to tell them to stop tasting or else there would not be any left for dinner! Poor Hen must have felt very sad when she did not have any soup to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a text to self connection. When my family makes soup, we eat it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a text to self connection. It reminded me that me and my dad made souplast night just like Hen.

    ReplyDelete